Sunday, December 9, 2012

Letter to my dad for his 40 year ordination celebration

During Dad's celebration of his 40th year os service in the church, some letters were read outloud.  Below is the letter I wrote for Dad.  Watching the tears stream down his face (and down the face of half the audience...including myself) was immensely and profoundly touching.  What is clear is that my father is dearly loved by his children and so many. 



Dearest Dad,

          Congratulations on your 40th year of service as an ordained minister! And service is what I’ve watched you do faithfully for as long as I can remember…counseling those in need, teaching God’s word, feeding and clothing the hungry, singing His praises,  playing your guitar,  engaging in authentic relationships, and joyfully giving grace to all those you meet.  Someone once taught me that grace is a “free gift that God gives us.”  Oh yeah…that was you! 

          For almost 40 years…well, technically 38 years and 8 months…I’ve gathered some memories through being a “P.K.” (preacher’s kid)…technically YOUR P.K.  Some of my fondest include:

·        Watching in wonder as you transformed from my father to God’s child & teacher of His word while you’d get ready for church.

·        The manner in which you’d place your cross necklace around your neck before service.

·        Playing guitar and singing “His name is J…J! E…E!...S…S!...U…U!...S…S!”

·        I loved when you called the children to the front of the church for a special children’s lesson.  You were totally focused on the kids…and it was authentic, connected, and real.  And FUN!

·        I always felt special when, in your sermon…you talked about your kids/family as part of the sermon.  That made me feel loved.  Although, I recall a few times that I had my name called out…or got “the look” because I was misbehaving.  That wasn’t as cool, but it did get my attention!

·        I remember fondly gathering for pot lucks at our church home in Commerce.  It did feel like home there.

·        I loved those brief, but special moments after church when I’d be spinning in your chair waiting for you to return in from shaking hands after service.  Even though you had to change out of your church garb, you always playfully connected to me and made me feel loved.

·        I loved the way you looked in my eyes and softly touched my head when you said, “May the Lord bless you and keep you in your baptismal vows, Brenda.”  I feel that love again as I see the way you tenderly say those words to Noah, Jackson, and your other grandchildren.

·        I loved listening to you and Mom sing and harmonize together in church…and sitting by you and singing…especially at Christmas time.

·        I always appreciated that you didn’t use the power of the pulpit to promote political topics…but stayed focused on God’s word.

·        It was always a treat when you’d do something a little outside of the norm in your sermons…like singing a song, moving out of the pulpit to enhance a point, whistling, or recalling a story from your life and applying it to the sermon.

·        Even though you are intellectually brilliant with half an alphabet behind your name…you always speak in a way that all people can understand.

·        There’s not an ounce of pretentiousness in your bones.  Not all preachers are that way.

·        Confirmation lessons…those were fun. You have always made me feel like I was, “A chosen race, a holy nation, God’s own people.”

·        I remember listening to you preach about the circles and how first is you and your God. Then you and your wife. Then you and your kids. etc., etc.  Most people don’t get that information in a year of therapy…much less in a church sermon!

·        I always noticed that no matter what was going on…when you said the Benediction, you always made contact with my eyes.  I felt as if you were specifically blessing me.  I noticed you did that, and it meant so much. 

·        I don’t know how you did it...but you are the strongest person I know…The words you spoke at Mom’s memorial service at Trinity Lutheran in Commerce…completely blew me away.  I cry as I write this because no one was hurting more than you…but you were able to serve by example, once again…you and Mom’s faith.  The service was a gift.

·        The years of Christmas Eve candle-light services.  Something so sacred about our family gathering together the eve of the birth of Christ. 

·        Watching you baptize each of your grandchildren is a wonderful memory.

·        And I love the way you try to hide your giggles and amusement when you’re up in the pulpit and one of your grandkids shouts, “Grampa! Grampa!”  It’s precious to witness.

 

The memories go on and on…as does my love for you. You have been the kind of father to your children that God is to His children. 

I love you dearly! Congratulations on 40 years!

All my love,

Brenda Joy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment