Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dad's 40th Year Ordination Ceremony

Grandma Haworth, Uncle Bob, Oma, Dad (Grampa), Aunt Joanne, Kyle & Leslie Fluegel
Dad standing in front of the dessert table...clearly decorated by his middle daughter.
Best. Dad. Ever. 

So many people got emotional when listening to the stories being read outloud.
Dad being presented with a special momento.
My mom's sister, Eileen, who lives in Michigan, was saddened that she couldn't make it to Texas for the party.  She called me and asked what she could do. My dad loves Faygo "pop."  Pop is a Michigan term for soda. Anyway, she sent him a big box of Faygo, and you can see from his face...he was surprised.
Kyle & Leslie Fluegel have been friends with our family for about 20 years.  They were a rock for our family when my mother was diagnosed with cancer, throughout her illness, and after her death.  They traveled for my dad's special day, too. It meant SO much!

NOTE:  I don't have pictures of this...YET. Because I was IN THE MOMENT.  There's a LONG STORY about how my dad came in dancing to "Ghostbusters" and mortified me during my first school dance.  (I'm pretty sure I already wrote a post about that somewhere on this crazy blog).  Anyway, as time warps us, the tradition in our family now is that at every wedding or family gathering with music...we play ghostbusters and dance like fools.  One of the church members asked me to tell the ghostbusters story. I did.  Then there were more sentimental moments, a prayer, and the closing. As the party concluded, the beginning of Ghostbusters began being blasted from the sound system.  We didn't miss a beat.  In front of about 100 people, me, my dad, and my 2 sisters got out there like total fools and busted out our ghostbusters dance.  THAT, my friends...was priceless! Talk about living in the moment. I SO wish that Noah would've been there, because he would've joined right in...my free spirit. 
The day was one of the most moving and emotionally momentus days in my life.
Love you, Dad. And so proud of you. Even prouder that you're MY dad. Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment