Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12-12-12

Today is 12/12/12.

In honor of 12/12/12, I think I'll focus on 12 things I will SAY YES to today...

1.   I say YES to cozy fires in the fireplace.
2.   YES to running to the mailbox and delighting at the pictures of friends and families in their Christmas cards.
3.   I say YES to forcing myself to exercise when Noah has been sick, and despite Jackson's un-fun habit of waking up at 4:30 in the morning.
4.   I say YES to making more phone calls to tell people I love them.  (Today would have been my cousin, Beth's 45th birthday, but she died last year from cancer.  Although difficult, I made the phone call to my aunt to let her know that she was in my thoughts and that I didn't forget.  She was genuinely touched, and I'm glad I called.)
5.   YES to reflecting on the past year...the highs...the lows...the in-betweens-and the "What in the hell was I thinking?"
6.   I say YES to being MORE PROACTIVE with staying connected in my relationships!It's so easy to make excuses.  "I've got 2 jobs, 2 kids...no time, life gets in the way, etc." I've come to realize that connected relationships are really what counts in this life, and that if I don't make a concerted effort to stay connected...the excuses win. And I won't have that.
7.   I say YES to Christmas music,  wrapping presents, and putting up a few more trees. I'm behind---I only have 4 trees up as of today.  Time to get the holly jolly going!
8.   YES to gratitude.  YES to grace. 
9.   YES to being comfortable in my own skin, and not apologizing for just being me.
10.  YES to building new friendships, and cherishing the old friendships.
11.  I say YES to FUN! So often, as "adults," we simply underestimate the importance of FUN.  In 2013, (and for the rest of 2012) I'm going to make an effort to put more FUN in my life.  I realize that this is going to require a concerted effort on my part, but I'm enlisting the help of some friends in this all-important task.
12.  And of course...I say YES to my boys...the lights of my life.  YES to listening to Jackson's explosion of words.  Yes to hear him saying, "Wuh You" (love you) and to receiving his precious baby kisses.  YES to Noah's JOYFUL spirit, and his love of all people.  YES to crayons all over my floor, because Noah is so into drawing right now.  YES to watching the boys play trains together and sitting in the rocking chair together as they watch cartoons.  YES to being present emotionally, and trying to focus on the blessings that I receive each day because of ALL my boys.  YES to appreciating my husband, who has also taken off work this week to help take care of sick Noah.  He does it all---makes lunches, takes the boys to school, and even put up Christmas garland (without being asked) when he was home with Noah.  I'd be lying if I said I felt happy ALL day every, but I DO feel happy EVERY day.  And my boys are a big reason why.  So, YES to my boys!

THAT MAKES 12 things I'm saying YES to on 12/12/12!


      

1 comment:

  1. YES! I have missed your YES posts! Hope your holiday season is going well, my friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete