Thursday, December 17, 2009

Good Karma

Last night, I was Christmas shopping at Ann Taylor Loft when I heard a toddler screaming in a stroller at the top of his lungs. Boy, have I been there. Instead of trying to help his poor mother, the staff and patrons in the store were just scowling at the poor lady. It was 7:30. The kid was done. Embarrassed and exasperated, the woman put down the pile of clothes she was trying to purchase and said to the clerk, "Just keep it. We just can't do this anymore." I walked up and told the mother, "I have a toddler, too. Go check out, Mom." I whipped out my handy iPhone and started playing some of the fun apps, and the little guy stopped crying immediately and just played and laughed until his mom was finished with her purchases. She was so grateful, and I was so glad that I was there to help both of them. I've done this at several places, and it hasn't failed yet. After they left, the sales clerk thanked me for my help. She said, "I didn't know what to do." I jokingly said, "Hey, I should get a discount for getting the baby to quit crying and letting the mom check out." She said, "Yeah, you should." When I checked out, the clerk gave me over $20 off my total purchase price as a thank you for the help. I was just kidding about getting a discount, but happily accepted the positive karma for doing the good deed!

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome! And btw, where the hell were you this morning when I was at the grocery trying to check out with my 2-year old, magic Iphone lady?!!? :)

    ReplyDelete