Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving with my family

We celebrated Thanksgiving 2009 with my family at the home of my sister & brother-in-law, Denise & Brad. Michael had to work to make up for time he'll lose later this week when we're in Mexico, so that was kind of a bummer. Denise cooked a feast! My favorite part, by far was the stuffing. My family is from Michigan and we traditionally make bread stuffing and cook it in the turkey rather than cornbread stuffing that traditionally is the southern way. Both are great, but there's something about eating my mom's recipe for stuffing with my family around that just feels right. Noah wouldn't eat, so he colored and then played on my iphone. What am I going to do with that kid? He also wouldn't nap, so when all the other kids in the house were sound asleep, Noah was screaming...fighting sleep until I gave up after 30 minutes and cramping arm muscles. He played outside and had an absolute ball with Grampa and Ella especially. Denise has the Polar Express Train around her Christmas tree, and Noah was mesmorized watching the train go round and round. My dad, "Gampa," was so sweet playing with Noah. His face would light up watching Noah play. Grampa also showed Noah how to press the buttons on the train controller to make the train whistle. This was a big hit! When we got ready to leave, Noah went to every person in the house (Grampa, Oma, Aunt Susie, Uncle Doug, Aunt Denise, Uncle Brad, Andrew, Ella, Matthew & Nick Nick...James still asleep) and gave "huggas" and kisses. He was melting the hearts in the room with his sweetness. Dad walked us out and stayed at the top of the hill on the driveway to see us off...the same way he did when I was leaving home as a young college student leaving home for school. It was so special and so sweet. He's the best dad any girl could ever ask for. It's his personality that is most like my own. When we reached the bottom of the hill of the driveway, Noah reached his hand out as if he could touch Grampa, and said, "Bye bye....mmmmmmmmmuh!" (the sound he makes when he's blowing a kiss). I rolled down the window and shouted to Dad, "He's reaching for you and telling you bye bye, Grampa!" Dad's face lit up and he waved as we drove off.
Just a sidebar note about Dad. I can remember him telling me, "Yes, I'm married to your mom, and yes that's a legal thing. But every day, I wake up and I CHOOSE to love her, I choose to show her I love her that day." It's easy to see why it's easy for me to love having witnessed their incredible love. Happy Thanksgiving!

Me & Dad
Most of our rowdy crew(minus a few kids' heads that were bopping)
Aunt Denise & Grampa showing Noah the train
Grampa shows Noah how to work the train remote to make it whistle
Noah & Ella play outside




1 comment:

  1. Dressing is my favorite too. And I love the train around the tree! Your dad seems so great with Noah. But wait - did I miss that you are going to Mexico? Why, where, when? Fill me in! Fun!!

    ReplyDelete