Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Love is a verb...Pillow Hunt


I woke up at 4:55 am this morning so I could run before Noah woke up. Great right? Noah woke up 5 minutes later. Michael is NOT a morning person, so I gave him a loving gift and got up and skipped my run (at that time, not for the day). To be extra-generous, I took Noah to Wal-Mart so Daddy could really sleep in peace. We even stopped by Whataburger on the way home to pick up Daddy his favorite taquito breakfast. I was feeling pretty good about being super-efficient and generous....go supermom/wife...NOT TOO FAST! In all the bustle of our Wal-Mart & Whataburger trip, somehow "supermom" (I say that facetiously) misplaced/lost Noah's FAVORITE pillow (not that I noticed right away). Some kids have security blankets or security stuffed animals. Noah has a security pillow. It's his thing. He takes that thing everywhere...Wal-Mart included. He doesn't sleep without it. We're dependent. When we were in Dallas, Michael & I looked at the Galleria for some other like it but couldn't find any. Fast forward to 8:30 am. Noah is wanting to nap, tired, fussing. I know we needed that pillow to sleep. I tore the house apart. I mean...really apart. I looked in my car 4 times, looked in all the cabinets, under the furniture, under cushions, every room of the house. No pillow. Noah is telling me "Pi-woe, pi woe," which is code for, "Duh, Mommy! Put me to bed already!" I had a stand in UT pillow, but it didn't fit the bill. He eventually got to sleep, but it wasn't an easy put down. I then called Wal-Mart, had the lovely experience of talking to customer service...which I personally find to be an oxymoron...heavy on the moron. Big surprise. No sign of the pillow. After Noah woke up, we went to Wal-Mart. Here's the visual. We park near the carts. I look through all the carts, buckle Noah in, and then we headed uphill to the next cart station. No sign of pillow. The next cart station. I stared at the carts of total strangers just trying to get to their car to see if Noah's pillow was somehow in their cart. I must've looked like a total mental case...pushing a child in a shopping cart around the parking lot a good 20 minutes before we even entered the store. Oh, the things we do for love. We then waited in line to talk to customer service on the off chance that they found the pillow & just forgot to call me back. Our "helper," Tippy (yes, that was her name) quickly glanced in the direction of some bin under the counter and blandly told me, "not here." We then walked all through Wal-Mart looking at everyone's cart, scanning it for pillows, scanning the counters and floor to see if Noah threw the pillow out somewhere & I just didn't see it happen. No pillow. After being in the store (and parking lot) an hour, and with my toddler increasingly becoming irritated at my seemingly mindless wandering, I decided to check out. (Of course our cart became full after all this time.) At the last minute, I impulsively headed down some random Christmas aisle...and low & behold...NOT OUR PILLOW...but it was a close replica to our pillow. There were four on the shelf. I bought two on the spot. Noah noticed that they were different but I introduced them as new fun pillows. He seemed to buy it. We'll see. So my entire day was basically dictated by a toddler's pillow...rather, by the desire to make my toddler happy. OHHHHHHh, the things we do for love! Love is a verb, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment