Sunday, November 8, 2009

My First Mud Run

Lacing up for the 10th Annual Fort Worth Mud Run~ Getting ready
Michael nicknamed me, "Rambo Barbie."


Today was the 10th annual Ft. Worth Mud Run. It was my 1st mud run, so I didn't really know what to expect. Hands down, it was the best run I've ever done! (And that's saying a lot, as I've done a lot of runs.) Hands down, it was one of the best DAYS ever! Michael, Brian, Brandon, & I did the run together. It was really great to see us work as a team, helping each other to make it through & get on the other side of the obstacles (be it the obstacles themselves, fears of heights, or self-limiting beliefs). There were 18 obstacles & let me be honest..they were challenging...some more than others, but challenging nonetheless! My elbows are already scabbed over from all the tiny cuts & my forearms are a little raw as well!

I have a fear of heights, so climbing about 25 feet in the air above scaffolding was my greatest fear & greatest accomplishment. I was scared. It was high, not to mention slick & muddy... but Michael & my teammates cheered me on and it felt great to feel the fear & do it anyway (which coincidentally, is the name of one of my favorite books by Susan Jeffers). This is me climbing the tall scaffolding! Feel the fear & do it anyway!

Just as the wall was my greatest challenge, each person had different obstacles to conquer...and they did! Because we weren't in the competitive category, if an obstacle was too difficult or scary, we wouldn't be penalized if we didn't even try an obstacle, much less conquer it. I was proud that none of us skipped an obstacle & let the challenge get the best of us. As we were approaching a difficult obstacle, Brian said, "The only way through it is to do it!" Great inspiration, Doc!
My favorite obstacle by far was the mud slide. We had to climb up a slick mountain of mud & slide down into a pit of freezing cold mud water that went up to my neck! Here Michael slides down into the mud pit! It was invigorating & freeing!
I also really liked going across the wooden balance beams with a mud pit below.People would fall off the beam into muddy water when they lost their footing. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Here's a picture of me going across the balance beam. I could showboat a bit because of my gymnastics training.Michael's favorite obstacle was the nets. His biggest problem was his boots! He wore steel-toe boots & they cut a hole in his heel & weighed about 7 pounds each after he finished. There's no way I could have run in those things!

One thing I want to remember & I want Noah to know if he one day reads this:
Because Michael's foot was cut & his boots weighed almost 15 pounds, he had a difficult time running a short part of the course. I stopped running and walked with him. He said, "Go on without me. I don't want to slow you down." I asked him, "If I were hurt, would you leave my side?" He replied, "No, I'd be with you." I said, "Me too. We've been together almost 12 years. I'm not leaving." And so we walked together until he was ready to run again. It's funny that running in the mud together could reaffirm my love for him, but it absolutely did!
Michael & I walking hand in hand. It's a fuzzy picture, but our committment to each other looks pretty clear to me.
I learned a lot about myself and my teammates. The only bad news is that the mud run is only twice a year & that I had to rely on water cameras for the pictures. So, my pictures aren't their usual quality. I think for the spring mud run, I'm going to have a friend that doesn't want to run come take the pics with my camera. It's a thought, anyway. All in all, an amazing experience!
Brenda Joy McBride













1 comment:

  1. Awesome awesome awesome!! Love the pics and the stories...

    ReplyDelete