Monday, November 23, 2009

Remember this feeling

When I got home from work today, Noah crawled up on my lap and just nuzzled his head closely into the nook of my neck and just snuggled. Since he's such a busy toddler, I really appreciate these moments of sweetness. We then danced and danced until the bottoms of my feet were aching and I was way beyond my target heart rate! And when we were getting ready for bed, I asked for a "hugga," (how Noah says hug) and he wrapped his arms around my neck and squeezed me tightly. Then we gave kisses, and it was special because he gave me a kiss, said, "MMMMMMMMUH!" and then gave me another, another, another, another, and more hugs. It was the greatest feeling...just the exchange of genuine love and affection for each other. After working 1/2 a day with psych patients that are suicidal, then spending the other 1/2 of the day with cancer patients/survivors...I have to consciously focus my attention toward the blessings I receive in order to leave work at work. It can be a challenge to "rationally detach," but something, thankfully, I do well, so that I can keep the toxic emotional baggage of clients from coming home with me. All the way home today I kept asking myself over and over what I had to be thankful for...and suddenly I'm back in the present...ready to dance it out and give my best to my guys.
I'm so thankful for the feelings of joy, warmth, and excitement I feel when I am greeted with Noah's smiles, and "Mama!" I cherish the FEELING of complete contentment and authentic love I felt tonight when my son sweetly gave me hugs and kisses.

A key part of "positive psychology," (a growing area of psychology based on research of positive people and the behaviors/attitudes they choose to increase happiness) is that we take "mental photographs" of happy moments in our life, so we can review them on our down days as a way to recall the positive emotions associated with the memory. My mental photograph today was definitely the moments of hugs & kisses from my angel boy.
(Of course, I also have an iphone app that will literally take pictures of the mental moments & keep them for me to review...all at my fingertips & all based on positive psychology...gotta love the iphone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment