Thursday, October 15, 2009

Turn Tyler Pink

Today was Turn Tyler Pink. What an amazing day! The community came out wearing pink, supporting breast cancer survivors and remembering those that are no longer with us. A friend of mine, Wes Malcom, is a Tyler firefighter, and lost his wife to breast cancer this past June. His wife (Tonya) was first diagnosed with breast cancer when she was pregnant with their daughter. Their daughter turned 4 this past August. The Tyler Firefighters developed a CARE team (Cancer Awareness & Relief Effort) as a result of the challenges that Wes endured throughout he & his wife's battle with Cancer. This team provides financial assisitance and emotional support as needed. I've been available as needed to help, & told them I'd be on board and be there any way I could. Wes & I still get together for lunch, and he is doing remarkably well. He has a passion for life that he once had not experienced...and a beautiful daughter. As if the pink firetruck coming to town wasn't enough, the Tyler Firefighters had another surprise in line---a new firetruck that was named Tonya. Wes was so surprised and obviously overcome with emotion. He signed the truck and was so humbled to have this response from the community. Before the event began today, Wes said to me, "I can't believe it's gotten this big. I just didn't want it to end when she died, and look at all this."
Indeed. I signed the pink fire truck & got a big hug from Dave Graybill, the firefighter that takes the bus on tour. What an amazing day! Mommy & Noah. We were passing out pink lollipops and he liked that!
Dave Graybill, founder of The Pink Heals Tour
My message to Mom that I left on the pink firetruck.
Brenda & Wes
The Sigmon Family joined in the celebration
Daddy is going to be nominated for sainthood, as he took off work early to keep Noah so that I could help decorate & participate in the event.







1 comment:

  1. Brenda... you are such an inspiration..... truly doing the work of God in so many lives.

    ReplyDelete