Monday, October 5, 2009

Dancing It Out, Ghostbusters Style

Believe it or not, there's a quite a long history of "dance it out," and I'm going to attempt to explain the evolution. It all started when I was in 7th grade at my 1st school dance. That was a long, long time ago! THE SONG at the time was Ghostbusters. Not one to shy away from a fun dance, I was dancing with some friends to Ghostbusters, when I noticed a large crowd gathering around me. Thinking that my stellar dance moves must've been the cause of the large crowd, I kicked it up a notch and really busted out some of my best moves. The noise of the crowd grew louder, and I was really feeling good about myself...UNTIL I turned around to find that it was NOT my dance moves that gathered the loud cheering crowd....BUT MY DAD'S! Behind me was my father, dancing up a storm to Ghostbusters, while all the junior high kids laughed. Keep in mind that my dad was the local Lutheran pastor at the time. He was doing a move that we now lovingly refer to as "the washerwoman," and had not a care in the world...least of all embarassing his pre-teen daughter who was mortified. Let's just say that every dance that followed through the years, I learned to spend the night with a friend so that my dad wouldn't be tempted to come in to the dance early and bust out his washerwoman moves. It's a story that's been told in our family for years. When Michael & I got married, my dad had the D.J. play Ghostbusters, and me & my entire family went to the dance floor and gave a most embarassing rendition of the washer woman. It then became tradition, and both my sisters had Ghostbusters dances at their weddings, too! Silly, I know...but that's the history of dancing it out. My father taught me a valuable lesson with his Ghostbusters dance...that no one can make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them. He taught me about living passionately, and having the freedom to be yourself. He approaches life with enthusiasm and passion. He dances to this day. Noah & I dance every day. A note of irony: out of hundreds of songs on my ipod, Noah's favorite song to dance to right now is Ghostbusters. And I've played him everything from Andrea Bocelli to Hip Hop music. I'll ask him if he wants to play songs and dance. He says, "Songs. Busters." Is that not hilarious? Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." I take this very much to heart. And so we dance it out.

1 comment:

  1. I have to meet your dad! Sounds awesome...and thanks again on the "dancin' it out" advice. I am gonna try and do it every day and see how it works. You are the best!!

    ReplyDelete