Monday, January 16, 2012

Saying Yes

It's a new week, and a new opportunity to say thank you for my blessings and set my intentions for a positive week! Time to SAY YES! I love the idea of saying yes. The turning point for me was when I lost my mother to cancer.  Following her death, I became acutely aware of the importance of living life to the fullest and making the most of each day.  That doesn't mean that I'm never sad, angry, frustrated, or disappointed.  Of course I am! What it does mean, is that I try very hard not to just sit and dwell in it.  I mean, what's really the point in that? I want to focus on what I CAN do, what I CAN control...how I CAN react. Staying in the moment and appreciating the little things can be difficult...especially for us working mothers that rarely have a break, and are often constantly bogged down in the care and nurturance of others.  Often times, we neglect our OWN self-care. And, what I know as a counselor...and as a gal just trying to do her best in this world...You can't give what you don't have! So, it's not selfish to take time for exercise, health, spirituality, a good laugh, playing bubbles with the kids.  Because when we nurture ourselves, we are more fully open to nurturing others.  I.e., we have more to give.  Having said that, I require constant reminders to CHOOSE JOY TODAY, and to focus on the present moment.  One book that really helped me to do that is One Thousand Gifts.  Although I am a work in progress, the book is a good reference.  Even having the book in plain sight helps me to refocus.  In terms of my everyday life, I found a blog that inspires me! It's the reason I started the "Saying Yes" posts in the first place! I was looking through Pinterest when I found the picture of the most adorable family. And, the mother of the beautiful family, Momma of the BMC Report writes a fabulous blog that inspires me. I literally read her blog for hours one night, and realized that there's a "soul friend" named Maria out in the cold of Ohio.  She, too, is the mother of boys, and is a fellow Diet Coke lover, obsessed with pictures, party planner and joy-seeker! Her "Yes Yes Yes" posts deeply touched my heart and inspired me. So, thank you, Maria, for being you thereby propelling me to SAY YES! This week, I'm saying YES to...
  • Planning for Noah's Super 4th Birthday Party
  • Yes to my boys
  • Yes to Valentine's Pictures with Rose Bailey
  • Yes to balance
  • I say yes to trimming roses, and dreaming of spring
  • Yes to walks around the lake with my boys
  • Yes to water, yes to real food
  • I say yes to kickboxing, running, and putting my time in the gym
  • Yes to advocating for my clients; being their rock when they need it, and being their soft place ot fall when they need it
  • Yes to appreciating my husband
  • Yes to painting, cutting, and prop-hunting for Noah's 4th Superparty
  • Yes to prayer
  • Yes to gratitude
  • Yes to falling in the pool when I'm miracle-growing the plants (Oops---I already did that! YES to laughing the whole way through.  Noah said, "Mommy, you went splat!")
  • I say yes to dancing with my boys
  • Yes to direction, making progress toward my goals
  • I say yes to curly, copper locks, and Jackson's precious smile.
  • Yes to grace
  • Yes to good-night stories, Candyland, hide-n-seek, and playing trains
  • Yes to watching Jackson toddle and talk his sweet baby talk
  • Yes to organization...a work in progress
  • Yes to having my housekeeper return!
  • I say yes to trying to be the best possible version of myself, however flawed.
  • Yes to progress, not perfection
  • Yes to Love is a verb!
  • Yes to Life is Dessert! Make it sweet!
  • Yes! Yes! YES!
What are you saying YES to this week?!? 

1 comment:

  1. I love your yes! Posts so much! I may just borrow the idea too if you do not mind! Also, I would have loooooved to see you go splat in the pool in January! Brrrrr.....love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete