Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas with the Carliles

 Christmas 2011 with the Carliles, Paw Paw, & Granny Meg (Jackson 1, Noah 3)
We celebrated Christmas a little early with the Carliles & Paw Paw. I thought it would be special if all the grandkids used their handprints to make Paw Paw a christmas painting. So, one-by-one...rather sneakily, I must add...we had each grandkid come upstairs and leave their handprints (along with their name and age) on a canvas. It made a little Christmas tree. Paw Paw really liked it a lot!
Anytime with the Carlile Clan is always special. And I don't mean that in a cheesy or politically correct way at all! I just don't think I could possibly love them more! How cool is that to say about your in-laws?!? Rebekah went overboard on picking out a ton of toys for the boys...and as always, she hit a home run. Noah really especially loved this Semi, "Max" truck that loads all his matchbox cars and has some cool ramp on it. He would've taken it to bed with him if we would've allowed! I just wish we had more time with them. Because Rebekah, Brian, and their kids are THE BEST.

Another highlight was a 12x12 photobook that I made Alice for Christmas this year.  I ordered chef hats for the boys and I...and we made a step-by-step picture with recipe guide for Alice.  Alice didn't really get the significance...which I knew...but one day she will. You see, my fondest memories of my Christmas' past with my mother were of us baking homemade sugar cookies together. I hate to toot my own horn, by these cookies are THE BEST!  Ask anyone! But they are time-consuming and a lot of work! So if you ever get any, know that you are LOVED!   Noah, Jackson, & I literally took pictures of EACH step of the baking process...and added little tips that only come from years of baking! Rebekah was really touched, which made my heart SO happy. Brian said, "That's a treasure, Brenda." So, that was the high point to me...being able to pass along a piece of my mother's sweetness to them.  Alice is the only girl among 4 boys (2 brothers & 2 cousins) so I wanted to make sure she knew JUST how to make the cookies so that one day, she could pass the recipe along to her kids.  One day she'll understand it all...and when she does, she'll know JUST HOW MUCH she is loved!
 
Jackson & Noah had a wonderful time.  I hope they one day know how blessed they are to have such an amazing extended family! Merry Christmas!

Brenda's homemade glazed sugar cookies...YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment