Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An emotionally intensive day

Well, today was an emotionally intensive day. That's not a bad thing, just an important thing to recognize. A dear, dear friend that attends my cancer support group has been hospitalized for some time...not this time with cancer, but the H1N1 Virus. Unfortunately, because her system is so frail, she's been in and out of a coma and doctors were speaking gravely to her husband and daughter. It took everything they had...but her husband and daughter came to support group. It was a risky move on my part (clinically speaking) but I stopped group and got up and hugged them, and asked support group members to do the same. Most of us know each other, and have for years, but I could sense their vulnerability the minute they walked in the room, and I just wanted to surround them with a physical presence. Hospitals and doctors are so clinical, sterile, and often detached...there's something so healing about genuine connecting between people. I apologized after the fact if it was the wrong call, but the family said, "That's just what we needed." The ice was broken. As I listened to this man tearfully account his wife's decline in health, I was profoundly touched by his faith in God and his undying love for his wife. He said, "I don't know if she can hear me or not, but I think she can. I told her I was going to group. She loved this group, every person in this room. And I knew this is where we were supposed to be. And I'm going to start coming, no matter what happens." I was so humbled and honored by their presence and participation. At the end of group, I asked all that were comfortable (again, I know these folks well, they all believe in God) to join hands, and I led a prayer for our dear friend and her loved ones. There wasn't a dry eye in the house, but tears can be healing, too.
After group, I spoke with the husband about his dear wife. He told me that they've been married "49 years and 8 months." He pulled out a ziploc bag which contained his wife's wedding ring and a cross from a necklace he gave her. He stated with tears in his eyes, "I carry these around with me everywhere I go. I just want to put them back on her and tell her how much I love her." He held the ziploc bag with the most tenderness and care in the world. As if that wasn't enough, he told me that they were going to renew their vows on their 50th anniversary, only 4 months away. "I already bought her the ring. She doesn't know it yet, but I've even put it on her precious finger while she's been in a coma. I just want to put her wedding ring back on and give her this new one." I pray he gets a chance.
Dear Lord, please give him this chance.

Dear Ones~
How blessed I am to have the opportunity to witness such amazing acts of faith, hope, and love.
How blessed I was to witness this type of love between my parents.
How blessed I am to have this day, this moment, this life. How blessed I am to know to the depths of my being that each day of life is to be savored.

No comments:

Post a Comment