Thursday, October 14, 2010

Noah & Mommy's first locks

People are always asking me where Noah gets his red hair. I always tell them that I had red hair as a baby, and that we have a lot of red hair in my family, and that if Michael lets his beard grow out, there's definitely red whiskers! Well, the proof is in the pudding. I found my "baby book," and I use the word lightly, because technically, it's a book to document your baby's firsts, but I was the 2nd child, there was no internet or technology to help, so there are a handful of pages completed. But I'm thankful for every page. There's something about seeing my mom's handwriting....gosh, she had beautiful handwriting...that feels so warm and familiar. Her handwriting feels like love, really. Anyway, inside my baby book, taped in the page where my handprints & footprints were supposed to be, I saw that my first haircut was taped inside. I showed the book to Michael. I had to tell Michael that it was my hair he was looking at, and that I put a lock of Noah's first haircut next to mine. He couldn't believe it. The proof is in the picture. Noah's hair is the hair on the left, and mine is the hair taped down on the right. You can see how Noah's hair has curl, a trait he definitely gets from Michael!
In these pictures, the hair on the far left is Noah's hair. The hair in the middle and in the baggie on the right is mine.

Another surprise I saw in the book was how Mom described how I got my name. It states, "We called Mary Gifford to stay with Denise about 7 AM. She came and we talked till about 10 o'clock AM when we went to the hospital. Fred came home and told Denise she had a sister. She asked if it was a boy-sister or a girl-sister. Everyone was very happy and full of joy-which is how Brenda got her middle name."



1 comment:

  1. Wow. Seeing your baby book and your mom's handwriting made me get teary. She clearly loved her family so much. And she gave her second daughter the PERFECT middle name!! Love that you still have your baby hair - now you need to scan a few baby pics, if you have them. I would love to see them! Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete