Wednesday, October 20, 2010

37 week prenatal appointment

We're officially 37 weeks and 1 day pregnant with Baby Jackson. We saw Dr. Willis again today, who, coincidentally, sends her son to Noah's preschool & his name is Jackson...just a little fun fact I learned recently. We had several questions, and to quote Dr. Willis, "I didn't give you any of the answers you wanted today." Michael asked if I thought I was any more dilated today. I said, "I don't think so. With Noah at 37 weeks, I stayed at 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. It's probably pretty close to that." Well, we were exactly as I thought. No progress there. Of course, I had Noah at 38 weeks & 2 days, so maybe there's hope we'll be meeting Jackson sooner than later. We asked about an induction on October 29th...Friday, before Halloween; Michael wouldn't have to take as much time off work. She considered it, then recalled she wasn't working that day. Then she said, "Well, maybe I could strip your membranes before then and that would help." A glimmer of hope. Then she recalled, "Oh yeah. I can't do that. Your test for Group B Strep came back posistive so I can't do that. And you & the baby will have to stay in the hospital 48 hours for monitoring." What? I didn't have THAT with Noah! She said, "It's transient. You can have it one month, not the next. We have to give you antibiotics when you go into labor." She then explained that it was good that we got good prenatal care, because this is entirely normal and fixable, but ladies that DON'T have this information often have kids in the NICU for about 2 weeks. Ick. I'll take my antibiotics and 48 hour hospital stay, thank you very much! We scheduled a tenative induction for November 2, 2010, but Dr. Willis said that she thought I'd probably go into labor before then.
On a different note, we decided to do the umbilical cord blood banking this pregnancy. We didn't do it with Noah, but knowing this is our last pregnancy, we just both had the gut feeling to do it this time. It's funny. Dr. Willis used the same company with her son, Jackson, so us listing her as a referral source gave her a free year of fees paid. Michael and Dr. Willis joked about how maybe now we wouldn't be giving her a free year of blood banking. (Joking of course! We love her!)
For some reason, when Dr. Willis left, I felt a little tearful. Just not the answers I wanted to hear, I suppose. But Michael was right there and a huge support. He has been there for the scariest days of my life, and that's a huge bond. Shortly thereafter, I was able to get out of myself, and called to check on Terence Thedford, a wonderful local fireman that has done so much for cancer awareness and relief efforts. His wife was being induced today in Dallas because their son was diagnosed with HLHS (Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome). Basically, the baby has to have heart surgery next Monday, at 3 months, and then probably again after that. And here I was caught up in a little Group B Strep? Give me a break, already! Get outside of yourself, Brenda Joy!
I quickly regrouped and feel better about it all now that I've had a little perspective and gratitude for my blessed baby and life.
So, now we wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment