Sunday, November 4, 2012

Happy 8th Birthday Matthew











Happy 8th Birthday Matthew!
How is it possible that you're already 8 years old?!? It seems like just yesterday that I was with your Mama & Daddy in Galveston buying cabbage leaves after you were born. I remember holding you and rocking you in my arms while Mommy recovered from her C-Section. You are so very loved, Matthew James!

And now you're a big 8 year old boy! You love baseball, especially the Rangers...and doing all kinds of outdoor things like sawing trees, collecting bugs, and doing yard work!
You are a joy!
We celebrated Matthew's 8th with a baseball party at Susie's house. It was SO much fun. Probably the best part for me was watching my dad play baseball with his grandkids...including Noah.  Although Noah knows nothing about baseball...he joined in the fun. I love the picture of Grampa and Noah bending over in the outfield. Noah just naturally did what Grampa was doing and it was so cute. Grampa noticed and got a kick out of it. 
Some of my fondest memories as a kid were of my dad teaching me the ins and outs of playing softball. I played short stop or 2nd base...just like him. I remember countless hours of him hitting me grounders, pop-flys, and line-drives as a kid.  And I recall watching him play softball with his church group and thinking that my dad hung the moon. I still think that, actually. 
So it was a big treat to see everyone together playing ball on Matthew's 8th birthday.  Michael pitched, and I don't think it's a coincidence that I picked a husband that is so active and involved in my kids' lives.  He may have my mother's personality more than my dad's, but the way he jumps in and is truly an involved father...is VERY much like my own father. And for that, I am thankful and blessed.

Happy 8th birthday Matthew!

No comments:

Post a Comment