Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tyler Rose 1/2 Marathon

Tyler Rose Half Marathon 2012

 

I've wanted to run in the Tyler Rose half marathon for the last two years. First, I was pregnant Jackson, and then I was still breast-feeding the time last year's half marathon occurred. Unfortunately, this year the cards were not in my favor again. I had major neck surgery less than 90 days ago. And beginning Friday night, I was struck with a vomiting virus, which left me dehydrated and really hurt my neck! Then on Saturday, I vomited some more, and Noah caught the virus, and the vomiting continued well into Sunday morning. So, here I was, about 4 to 5 hours of sleep each night on the weekend. Although I already spent about $75 registering for the half marathon (which, I minimally trained for), I just didn't see how I could physically pull it off. Oh, and did I mention that my husband was conveniently out of town at a Longhorn football game while all this was going on?! When the morning of the race arrived, I just felt compelled to get my tired, dehydrated, worn out body to the race. I have been coveting that Rose metal long enough! I figured, even if I walked some of the way, I would still get a medal. Against all odds, I did it!! The race route was every bit as terrible as everyone said… hills, hills, hills!!! To my amazement, I somehow pulled it off. I even did WELL! I finished in two hours and nine minutes, which isn't too shabby for an old gal. The most important thing for me, was I listened to my inner voice and I persevered. As I was running, I kept picturing my two sons, and how I wanted to be an example to them... to push outside their comfort zone, to set goals, and to reach them. This was a priceless moment! And I finally got that medal!!

1 comment: