Sunday, October 14, 2012

15 years







October 14, 2012...
15 years today since I lost my mother to cancer.  Some years I get through the days better than others.  Today was a tough year.  I don't know if it's because of the number 15...just sounds monumental...if it's because we've been struggling with Noah being sick... or what...but I had a hard time finding the joy in the day.  There were moments...seeing Jackson's smile...Noah waking up feeling happy after vomiting yet again last night. But I felt a sinking, heavy, grumpy feeling all day today.  And despite my attempts to wash it off...it just lingered.  After some maladaptive coping of Blue Bell ice cream and chocolate, I decided to  go to the nursery and do something positive with my negative energy.  I bought some plants and planted about 5 flats of pansies. 
I can remember shortly after my mother died...when we planted pansies in my mother's memorial garden on my parents' land.  I remember my father planting the pansies and saying that my mother was a lot like the pansy flower.  Seemingly delicate...beautiful...but tough.  Pansies are a tough flower.  They withstand the harsh elements.  Yes, my mother was like a pansy, indeed.  Truly the most amazing person I've ever met. As I wept while digging in the dirt today...her words came ringing loudly into my heart. It was as if I could hear her say, "Brenda, fear not.  Only believe."  Such a woman of faith.  How I wish I had her strength, her patience, her grace...all areas I struggle with.  But I know I have to be me...flaws and all, and some days that's tougher than others...days like today, for example.
- Posted using BlogPress from iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I never knew your mom but I know she would be so so so proud of the woman you are today, B. What mom wouldn't? Yes, you indeed gotta be you but YOU are awesome.

    ReplyDelete