Monday, September 7, 2009

Quick Labor Day Reflection




This weekend went by too quickly, so I thought I'd reflect on some of my recent intentions. Let's see. The cooking is going better, not that we cooked any all weekend unless you count eggs! We've made healthy enchiladas, spaghetti, and I even cooked fajitas tonight after being at the psych unit all day (working, not as a patient yet!) I've gotten into my running groove and this week logged just over 35 miles of running, which included taking Wednesday off, so that's progress. I'll keep persevering where that's concerned. The Fort Worth Mud Run is this November and it's basically a 6 mile, military-inspired obstacle course through the mud. I've never done anything like that before, so I think I'm going to get out of my comfort zone and get drenched in mud. I'm not exactly sure how to train for that, though. I'm just putting that energy into my intention for after the 1/2 marathon. This weekend my sister-in-law, Rebekah, and her wonderful family are coming to our house to keep Noah and Michael & I will have our first mini-getaway since Noah was born. We've been so busy that we haven't even talked about what we'll do. I'm looking forward it, and the weekend will be here before you know it. So, overall, things are all going great. One interesting tidbit...I've been getting peer pressure to join Facebook, and have adamantly resisted....until today. I see this one coming a mile away. The reason I resisted for so long is because I'm so meticulous with my time, energy, and how it's utilized. I have enough vices already, and I've heard about lots of people getting addicted to that site. The last thing I need is another addiction! Shoes, gardening, chocolate, pictures....no more addictions please!!! I THOUGHT I signed up on my iPhone, but as luck would have it, I think I probably misspelled something and the Facebook site isn't letting me log in. I've already spent over an hour just trying to fix it! This is not boding well for the Facebooking. I have a limited amount of life force and it's not off to a good start! :) I'll try to keep an open mind and see if the Facebook people fix it quickly. If not, I'm outta there!

On a deeper note...yes, I am a therapist...I often do psychotherapy groups with folks regarding how they'd benefit from RELEASING certain things. We often make resolutions every year without first releasing those thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that contribute to our sense of inadequacy. So, rather than making a new year's resolution this year, some friends and I decided to write down things that we wanted to release. One of mine was releasing being disconnected from friends since having a baby. It's a lot more work to stay connected after having Noah, but I've connected with a few older friends and hope to continue to cultivate new friendships. Sometimes, in our family or extended relationships, we want more than another person is willing to give. I try to be mindful and conscious of the things I can and cannot control, and have made diligent efforts to work on one relationship in particular, but, have experienced a lack of reciprocity in that relationship. It is my intention to release the expectation that if I do more or try harder, the other person will do the same. That has become an energy vampire, and I need all the positive energy I can get. Rather, I will be flexible with my expectation of the relationship, and focus my time and energy on relationships with those that reciprocate in a loving manner. This is my intention and my prayer as I prepare for rest tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment