Thursday, November 24, 2011

A grateful heart...Thanksgiving 2011

Thanksgiving Day 2011~
     As I sit here in Rebekah & Brian's kitchen, I hear familiar sounds that will be gone all-too-soon...sounds of children laughing, the guys on edge over the UT & A&M game, the sound of Alice and Rebekah playing on Rebekah's computer, and the sound of babes in deep slumber. It is with a greatful heart that I pause and thank God for the beautiful blessings in my life. I thank God for this day, this opportunity to gather as family and enjoy a meal that we traveled far to savor.  I thank God for Rebekah & Brian, and all the work that goes into preparing to have a house full of guests. They went completely out of their way to set up a crib for Jackson, completely furnish their back house with furniture, and even had fresh flowers and snacks waiting for us. Love is in the details, and I sure noticed lots of details. (Thank you Rebekah). And on that note, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge out loud how blessed I am to have such a wonderful sister & brother-in-law. Rebekah & Brian are simply amazing.  Here they have a house full of people, and yet they find time and energy to make each person feel welcome and loved. This sounds corny to say, but if you pay attention to it, you can actually feel the love and the warmth of their home as soon as you enter.  I love watching Brian with the boys. He always gives them funny names and this Thanksgiving, he called the boys, "Big, Strong."  For example, when Jackson was toddling along, Brian said, "Hey there, Big Strong. Look at you."  Or when Brian was (graciously) trying to help by getting Noah outside, he said to Noah, "Come on, Big Strong.  Let's go outside and swing."  He just has such an ease with the boys, and it's completely authentic.  I love watching him. And the boys love him, too. 
     And Rebekah, well she deserves a post all her own, but it's getting late, so I'll try to summarize.  Rebekah is simply incredible. She and Grammie spent days cooking a ton of food (I'll never forget those sweet-potato cups!) yet she managed to take everything all in stride and not stress out the way I probably would have.  (Of course, Rebekah actually feels comfortable in a kitchen!) Although the food was fabulous and the table lovely...what I will remember most this Thanksgiving 2011 is that it was important to Rebekah for us all to sit down TOGETHER at the table for Thanksgiving dinner.  It would've been much easier on her for everyone to simply go buffet-style and dig in when they were ready...but Rebekah is keenly aware that she is the memory-maker for her family...and she wanted us to take time to sit around the table and savor the food, the conversation, the family...the blessing of Thanksgiving.  In particular, she said that she wanted us to "linger" at the table. Love that. It was kinda funny, actually. It became a little joke throughout dinner. Because my boys were not cooperating with "lingering," Michael & I took turns eating, and when Jackson started fussing, I moved to the living room where I could still visit, and told Jackson, "Don't you know I'm trying to linger here?" The point of lingering is the stuff that memories are made of, though...and I SO get that. And I admire that quality in Rebekah.  The word "amazing" is often over-used, but she is truly amazing. She's such a blessing in my life and I love her dearly and thank God for her.  Noah thinks Rebekah absolutely hung the moon, and I think he just might be right.
     It is with a grateful heart that I thank God for all my boys...Michael, Noah, and Jackson.  Without them, I would be lost.  They are the loves of my life...my whole heart.  I am so blessed to get to spend my life with these precious three.  There are moments with each of them that are so special...I just wish I could freeze time to make the moment last; to make the moment "linger," just a bit longer.  I think that's going to be declared the theme of this Thanksgiving 2011-"Linger." Wouldln't it be nice to have our gratitude linger each day? If we took the time to linger in all that we HAVE going for us, all of our blessings, instead of worrying about what we don't have and what isn't working...wouldn't our lives be happier? I'm reading a book right now, "One Thousand Gifts," and my favorite line so far is when the author says, "When did I stop thinking life was dessert?" SO TRUE!  I for one, choose to make a conscious effort to LINGER each day, if only for a few moments...on the many blessings I have been given. LIFE IS DESSERT! Happy Thanksgiving!



    

No comments:

Post a Comment