Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas Tree Decorating

     We decided to do something JOYFUL today in memory of my mother, and I just couldn't think of anything that was more "her" than Christmas. She LOVED Christmas, and some of my best memories of her were decorating the tree each Christmas and baking sugar cookies. So, the boys and I busted out the big ladder and got our 12 feet tall tree ready to go! This tree takes some serious time to get "just right," but we had a great time putting the ornaments on the tree. Noah loves pictures about as much as I do, and was so cute pointing out the person in each frame and finding the perfect spot on the tree. So much fun. 
     There was one particular momen of perfection I want to remember...




Noah & Daddy were busy playing a game on the floor, and an old Christmas song, "Little Drummer Boy," sung by David Bowie and Bing Crosby...my favorite version of all time, began playing. Jackson was in my arms when the song began, and we danced cheek-to-cheek as they sang, "Peace on Earth...Can it be." It was a perfect moment. I felt so much love for him and my life, and I just began to cry.  It was at this moment that I realized how much I was missing my mother today...how I wish she were here to hold her precious grandson and dance with him.  I wondered if she danced with me the same way when I was a babe.  Knowing my mom, I already know the answer.  Of course she did.  Then the distance between heaven and earth didn't seem so far, and joy and grief-filled tears streamed down my face.  It was a moment I never want to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment