Friday, April 30, 2010

A memory of Mom


Climbing Pinkie Rose- April 30, 2010- less than 1 year old

Climbing Iceberg Rose- less than 1 year old

Something my mother used to do was take pictures of her plants when they were heavily blooming, & put them in a notebook. I asked why she did this. She told me that this way she'd have a good idea of when she could expect certain plants to be their prettiest. (She was ahead of her time. Now these gardening journals, as they are called, sell like hotcakes!) She was so cute. She & my dad had 10 acres of beautiful land, and they were ALWAYS outside gardening, working on outdoor projects, & mowing. But it was gorgeous. They planted Crepe Myrtle trees all along a long creek bed. I remember her saying that she knew just when she could expect her Crepe Myrtles to start blooming in June because she kept dates and pictures in this notebook. She was always thinking of others and how to make things beautiful for her family. "Crepe Myrtles should be blooming by mid June; wouldn't that be pretty for a wedding?" I remember her saying. How I miss her. How I wish she was here to share her love with Noah and this precious new baby on the way. But I know I was blessed because she taught me how to love. She & my dad both taught me to love in so many ways. I can honor her memory by loving as she loved me and remembering. So today, I looked outside and saw my not-even-a-year-old climbing roses. My neighbors have been asking me what I've done to get them so beautiful so fast. I don't know what it is. Maybe I've got more of my parents' gardening genes than I realized. I took some pictures of my roses in heavy bloom this morning so that I, like my mother, can keep the tradition going. One day Noah & his sister or brother will read this, and learn just what a special lady their Grandma Rogers was. Oh how she blessed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment