Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Scary Night

Last night was the scariest night we've had since last April 11th when I had to take Noah to the emergency room. We came home with hopes of relaxing only to hear newscasters reporting that multiple tornadoes were possibly headed our way. We stayed glued to the television (until it went out) which confirmed several tornadoes and two headed right our direction. Earlier that day in my cancer support group, we had a serious talk about the "stuff" that really matters in life...not money, social status, or prestige, but relationships that matter most. Whether it's cancer you're facing, or tornadoes approaching your home, it's not the STUFF you worry about...it's your family. As for me, I'm real honest about my greatest fear....losing those that I love. As the hail came down, flower beds flooded, and thunder rolled, my heart raced at the thought that harm may come to Noah or Michael. Noah actually fell asleep in my arms while the weather reports were running. I rocked him and rocked him...even as we went into the room under the stairway and piled pillows up in case the tornadoes hit. He slept through the whole thing. I just stared down at my darling angel, praying for more time with him...more time with Michael...rocking, rocking, rocking. The storms passed, and praise God everyone is safe. Isn't it a shame that it sometimes takes reminders like terminal illness, an earthquake in Haiti, or threats of tornadoes to get our focus on what matters most....relationships. It's funny how the night can be so scary and foreboding, and the day can bring sunshine and hope. It was a beautiful 70 degrees today. Noah and I spent most of the day outside, soaking up the sun...and precious time with each other. Countless hugs, kisses, and laughter were exchanged. God is so good. Life is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment