Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Really Living

Today Noah went with me to the Cancer Institute, where my WONDERFUL friends Sandy and Mary Beth entertained Noah while I did the cancer support group. #1. How amazing is it to have friends like that? #2. How BLESSED am I to have a job that views children as a blessing and not a nuisance? Believe me, I know I'm lucky. Oprah Winfrey says that there is no luck, that luck is where preparation and opportunity meet. I probably believe that is generally correct. Let's just say...I know I am blessed!
While putting Noah down for his afternoon nap, I paused to just soak up the joy in bonding with my son. He was almost asleep, when, out of nowhere, he opened his eyes, waved, and said, "Hi. Hi Mama." His grin was from ear to ear, and I wish I had a camera to capture the twinkles in his eyes. I couldn't help but answer back, grin from ear to ear myself, and then give kisses to my sweet boy. There was no going back after that. He would stick his tongue halfway out, still grinning from ear to ear, and giggle while I did the same. It was perfection, really living.I'm glad I've learned to be in the moment...to soak up those special moments of too much perfection, rather than focusing on "the small stuff" as I sometimes relapse & do...but not today. And boy am I thankful. There's something to be said for mindfulness and living in the moment. Another gift that cancer has given to me. My dishes may be dirty and there's unfolded laundry on the floor...but I'm o.k. with that. That's the small stuff. Putting everything else aside & soaking up the goodness of my son...that's really living.
It's one thing to exist, another to really live. I really live, and I thank God for that lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment