Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tyler Half Marathon

Kiss from my angel for luck
Just before the race

My finishing medal


Today was the Tyler 1/2 Marathon. It's always interesting to see the different folks that participate in these events. Some people drive from Dallas or farther to run. These are the hard core athletes. Then you see lots of college students that run cross country & are in great shape. You'll also see some older folks that have been running for decades. Then you'll see the people in my category: The Moms that just want to stay in shape & finish the race category. The goal for me is always to just finish without walking or suffering major injury! I was surprised with the frequency & severity of the hills (some more like mini-mountains in my opinion!) I literally saw several people throwing up, sitting down, and cramping up. I could feel my hamstrings tightening and tried to just push through to the end. Definitely tougher than the White Rock Half, which was a big surprise. My chip time was 2 hrs 13 seconds. I was very happy with this time. I went into the race thinking 2 hrs would make me quite happy, but was realistically hoping for less than 2 1/2 hours. So, I was pleasantly surprised all things considered. When I ran the White Rock Half I was in a much younger age category & only beat 2 hrs by a few seconds. That was a much easier course & was pre-baby so I'm pleased with my time. I ended up 9th in my age/gender category and 138th overall. I'm glad it's done & I'm glad I pushed myself. I'm more than ready to switch my training to get ready for my first mud run in 2 weeks!


Brenda Joy McBride

No comments:

Post a Comment